Thursday, February 02, 2006

Newsvine - Activist Cindy Sheehan Arrested at Capitol

Now, I'm usually one to tell people to "move on", for things like this, but if this article is accurate, I am gravely concerned for this country.

To summarize, Cindy Sheehan, known anti-war activist, was arrested at the State of the Union address for wearing a T-shirt with an anti-war slogan on it. Police warned her that it would not be allowed. WTF? That seems like a reasonably peaceful demonstration to me. Tread lightly, folks, we still have almost two full years left.

Read more at www.newsvine.com/_news/...

[update] I've been reading some of the comments on the original article, and I thought I'd add to this post. T-shirts are explicitly exempted from the Capitol anti-demonstration law, which is what the original charge was originating from (it was lessened to something else). Other posters wanted to point out that this was a political move by the Democrats that invited her, and all I can say to that is "Of course it was!". That still doesn't lessen the seriousness of this issue to me. [update] All charges were dropped, and the police issued an apology.

No comments: