Thursday, March 06, 2008

Omnivore's Dilemma

I recently just finished this book, The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, which I found very interesting, so I had to share it.

One passage in the book just stood out to me, about Polyface Farms, and how they have created a farm that produces food by allowing the animals to do what they do best, yet they all work in a symphony that creates a better environment for everyone. Food production is not a zero-sum game. I found a video, up on TED, where the author goes through this exact passage.

This pastoral view of the world reminds me of my preferred view of the future, which I derived from a poster I saw in the fourth grade. If I ever find a picture of that poster, I'll put that up here...

Also, the passage above with the chickens reminds me of some friends and their stories of chickens in their garden.

No comments: