Thursday, October 02, 2008

I'm Tired... of Election Year Politics

I'm tired of all the same old rhetoric, the same politicking, the same class warfare, and the same corruption. It's time for real change in our government, not more of the same. That's why I've had several politically directed posts in the past several months. I think it's time to enumerate just what I'm tired of.

Class Warfare

Whenever I hear the words rich, poor, greedy, or redistribution of wealth, I know that the person talking is just trying to get us to fight amongst ourselves so they can walk off with the money, power, or whatever it is they set out to take. It's a tactic to deflect from real issues.

Fairness comes from equality, not placing different standards on any particular class of people. Anyone who talks differently is just trying to play one group against another. It is time to stop playing that game. This is one of the reasons I started supporting FairTax, which would take away the inequities in the current tax code and make taxes fair.

Evil Corporations

This mostly involves talk about taxing the excessive profits that a company makes. On the surface, companies appear to pay many taxes -- taxes against their profits, taxes against the income they are providing employees, and taxes on investments they make. Over the water cooler, I heard recently about the tax benefits of employing a workforce in India (I am not kidding).

Now, think for a minute how companies pay taxes. Any income a corporation creates has to be divided up among the employees, the investors, suppliers, debts incurred, growing the business, and the government. A corporation doesn't amass wealth -- it distributes it, so any taxes a corporation pays is taken away from creating wealth for everyone else on that list.

It all sounds good when the evil corporation being taxed isn't identified as you, but in some way or another, you are on that list. That's what makes corporate taxes such an effective way at hiding the true nature of a tax. Again, that's another reason I'm supporting FairTax.

Corruption

The whole process has become corrupt. Money invades and distorts at every level of politics. Earmarks are a staple of the modern political arsenal.

Take a gander at the latest atrocity coming out of government, know as The $700 Billion Bailout. It's 451 pages long!!! For something that has been deemed so critical to our economy, I would have thought they'd be brief and expedient (for reference, The Common Sense Fix is only a single page long, though it might grow to 5 pages it it was formatted like the current bill).

If you bother to scan through that document, you'd find juicy provisions for Energy, Mental Health, Disaster Relief, Film and Television Production, a Motorsports Racing Track Facility, Railroad Track Maintenance, Mine Rescue Team Training, Economic Development for Samoa, and I'm not even covering half of it. Who doesn't have their hand in the till for this one? Seriously, I'm not making this stuff up.

[Note: In reexamining the text, I found that E.E.S.A. is part of Division A, and most of the other troubling stuff I've noted above come from Divisions B & C. I've found a better link for E.E.S.A. here. All these Divisions appear to be part of HR 1424 (which comes from the Senate website), but it's not clear to me if they all are voted on at once. If anyone knows, please leave a comment.]

I'd recommend reading the bill for entertainment value as well. The name given for the bill is E.E.S.A. (Emergency Economic Stabilization Act) and it's main provision is for a T.A.R.P. (Troubled Assets Relief Program), apparently to cover their backsides. It sounds like stuff out of an old comic book!

This is just normal business in Congress. This bill is an ordinary knitting together of all the wants and needs of various constituents, tying together various parts of other legislation, nipping here, extending there -- such that most of the bill is illegible. It makes for a great opportunity to sneak things in.

I would guess that most elected officials don't read the whole bill, and instead read something like this summary of the bailout, which conveniently leaves out all the earmarks hiding in that little bill. Heck, I don't think even journalists read this stuff, because I've certainly never seen it on CNN.

This is why I'm supporting the Change Congress movement. We've got to demand real change out of our system, and vigilantly defend our government from the corruption that has infected it.

No comments: