Wednesday, January 27, 2010

iPad

So, iPad it is.

This is pretty much everything I asked for here. It'll be missing Flash support, but I do suppose that is the best thing for the web. I'm still a little torn on that, but this will take HTML 5 where it needs to go. Now... at a starting price of $499, I'm blown away.

I could live with a WiFi only version of this, however the no-contract pricing they got for 3G access for this is phenomenal -- $14.99 for 250MB, or $29.99 for unlimited (per month). Let me emphasize the no-contract for that. You can buy one of these, and activate 3G access for it for just the month that you want to go out and take a trip where you won't have WiFi access. That is a big selling point for me. I'm not a road warrior, so I don't need this all the time. Without a contract, this is quite tempting. And it is just a bit more expensive than one of those mobile WiFi plans -- but you get the full benefit of the coverage of a 3G cellular connection.

I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on one of these.

No comments: