Wednesday, November 05, 2003

Dents and the Universe

I guess everyone wants to make their mark on the world, but some more than others. I was just reading this article in Business 2.0 about Marc Andressen, one of the cofounders of Netscape. He's off on his new project now, Opsware. Opsware is an automated way of keeping servers configured correctly. Great stuff, that I'm sure understaffed IT groups would love (so, basically all of them). Opsware stared out as an internal software project for the company's web hosting business (formerly known as Loudcloud). It was a solution to an existing problem. Marc and the other execs saw the handwriting on the wall, and transformed the company from web hosting to selling this software. That is awesome -- playing to your strengths like that, and finding what will really work. I can really relate to Marc. He seems like a hyper-kinetic visionary kind of guy, at least as portrayed in this article. While anyone who knows me will definitely not describe me as hyper-kinetic, I often think that way. Sometimes the thoughts are flowing so fast I can't keep up with them. I'm always thinking, though. Analyzing. Trying to see what the future will bring, and where best to be when it gets here. Of course, the sometimes leads me to not doing anything, but you'll have that.

No comments: