Sunday, October 16, 2005

Elizabethtown

I needed this movie just at this moment. The circumstances that start off the story are quite preposterous, but the feeling that Drew has is something that I think a lot of guys can relate to -- at least I can. You have this sense of doubt about yourself because of this mistake you made and then you stood up for the consequences. This mistake then gets stuck in your head and sits there mocking you while you miss out on some very good things happening around you. I can so relate to the moment when Drew is standing in front of Claire and should be telling her not to go, but has this compelling urge to confess his spectacular failure. It's that kind of obsession of failures that I am talking about. Not that it happens a lot to me, or even if it's big; it's just that some things can kind of stick in your head like that. That keeps you from moving on. So, give yourself five minutes to wallow in self-loathing, and really soak up the misery. Then move on. If you get a chance, and are in the right place, ignore the critics and go see Elizabethtown. At the very least, you'll hear a nice soundtrack.

No comments: